Thursday, July 22, 2010

Grandmothers




I have to say one of the greatest blessings I have experienced is being a grandmother. I can't begin to describe the feeling I get when one of my boys runs to me with open arms!! It is one of the best feelings in the world. I wish everyone could experience it. It's great to finally be popular!!!


I had one grandmother that I had a relationship with. My mom's mom. She was a tiny little wisp of a thing. She lived in Houston and we lived in Dallas, so it wasn't like we got to see her all the time, but when we did see her it was a real treat. Back in the 6o's when she would come to visit, she would come on the train. We would all load up in the station wagon and head for the train station. We couldn't wait to get home because she usually brought us each a gift. I don't remember what they were, but I do remember the excitement.


She raised 5 children pretty much on her own ( with the help of her mother ) and I'm sure she had a pretty difficult time when they were younger. I remember visiting her in Houston when we were pretty small. At one time she lived in a garage apartment. I think the outside was painted a blue sort of aqua color. I remember walking up the steps into her little apartment. It had a small den, bathroom, bedroom and I don't remember if it had a kitchen or not. We would make pallets on the floor to sleep, and love every minute of it. I remember she had a good friend named Leila. Granny would dig in her closets and drawers and find goodies for all of us. I remember a bar of soap that smelled like roses she gave me one time.

I love what my mother says about her mother in her autobiography....


"I think mom did pretty damn good for herself, considering her background and lack of opportunity. She had a lot of grit. I can't imagine having to raise five children by myself, or having to spend my entire life needy and with an uncertain future and, for the most part, alone. My greatest desire now is that she's with Jesus...at peace, loved beyond measure and in need of nothing...and that she knows how much I love her."


I didn't know my dad's mom as she died when he was a little boy. It is one of the reasons I hope we know one another when we die. I would like to know her. Her name was Emma Marie Randolph. One of my grandsons carries Randolph as his middle name. I love that.


One of my close friends gave me a sweet little book when I found out I was going to be a grandmother. I understand the little sayings in it now. Here are some of my favorites.




Grandmothers are the people who take delight in hearing babies breathing into the telephone.




Grandmothers are built to cuddle into, like a duvet.




Grandmothers eat anything you cook and say it is delicious-


even if it was a bit knobbly and sort of horribly greasy.


I think they have special stomachs.




Grandmas are good at sitting on the floor to play,


but they are terribly difficult to get upright again.




Grandmothers have bottomless handbags.




Gramdmas bring flowers when you pet dies. And sit and cry with you.




Grandmas are the best at keeping secrets.




Grandmothers come to call carrying shopping bags with Very Interesting Bulges




Grandmothers are about twenty inside...sometimes six.




Grandmas sing crooked but nice.




Grandmas are really truly interested in your dead frog.




Grandmas give you the cherry off the top.




A grandmother pretends you can give her a cup of tea down the telephone.




and my very favorite....




Gramdmas don't just say "that's nice"


-they reel back and roll their eyes


and throw up their hands and smile.


You get your money's worth out of grandmas.




Everyone needs a grandma




Blessings from this grandma


Memaw Barbie




3 comments:

Memaw Barbie said...

What a beautiful post, Barbara! I love hearing about "your memories". It just occured to me..she was the only grandparent you had...'wish we could have known Emma and your grandfathers.
I love you,
Momma

Memaw Barbie said...

I forgot...I'm on your computer so my comment above (and this one) is misleding...showing that it came from you...
Mom

Maree said...

Loved your post...you are a wonderful MeMaw...just think of all the memories you have made for your family!

I was wondering the other day if I'd ever make it to great grandmother...only the good Lord knows...sure would like to!

Your grandmother was a part of the backbone (and salt and light)of this country....she knew what was important...you were blessed to have had her~

About Me

My photo
Just a proud Memaw. Thankful for the time to spend with friends and family, cooking, playing outside, reading a book.