Sunday, November 2, 2008

Stop and Smell the Roses


One of the highlights of my week is the day I have my grandsons. Living so far away from my mom and dad and siblings has made me realize the importance of the day to day relationship with your children.
Our family has spent most of our vacation and holiday time traveling across several states to be together with our loved ones. We have been blessed to be able to spend as much time together as we have, but even tho our times together are wonderful, you still miss out on the day to day activities and the memories that can never be replaced.
Time passes so quickly it seems also. I know when your kids are little you think you have their whole lives to make an impression on them and teach them the things you want them to know and then suddenly they're 16 and driving and it seems they are never home. You've been so busy working and raising your family and then suddenly they are grown, and then if you are blessed you have grandchildren and it starts all over again!!!
I am so very thankful everyday that my children have chosen to live close and I do get to spend daily time with them and their sweet families. I am also thankful that they enjoy spending time with my parents and siblings and take their time to be with them. I don't take that for granted at all.
So all of that so say.....I am going to spend as much time with my children and grandchildren as I possibly can because I know how quickly time passes.
One of the things I think you don't realize when you are younger is that truly with age comes wisdom. I think my mom has always been wise, at least as far back as I can remember. One of the things I admire most about her is the way she can give you little snippets of advice without you realizing it. One of the best pieces of advice were in the form of a poem which she cross-stitched for me when my babies were little.

CLEANING AND SCRUBBING CAN WAIT TIL TOMORROW

FOR BABIES GROW UP WE'VE LEARNED TO OUR SORROW

SO QUIET DOWN COBWEBS, DUST GO TO SLEEP

I'M ROCKING MY BABY AND BABIES DON'T KEEP
Thank you momma...................Blessings Memaw Barbie

2 comments:

Love my 2 BoYs! said...

Thats definitely a great piece of advice!!
Thanks
~Jenn

Unknown said...

Thank you darlin'
I love you,
Mother

About Me

My photo
Just a proud Memaw. Thankful for the time to spend with friends and family, cooking, playing outside, reading a book.